- About Us
- Get Involved
In 1957, a group of Sussex County parents, unable to find services to meet the needs of their children with developmental disabilities, formed SCARC, Inc. In order to serve these children, a preschool program, recreation programs, and a day training program were developed. Over the next few years, the demand for a wider range of services grew and SCARC expanded in order to meet that appeal.
- In 1969, SCARC opened their first day program for adults. A second day program followed three years later.
- In 1972, an elementary school program was developed. Until federal legislation was passed in 1975 requiring public schools to serve children with disabilities, SCARC was the only provider of education for children with developmental disabilities in Sussex County.
- In 1973, recognizing that providing services to children as young as possible was important to successful outcomes, SCARC developed an Early Intervention Program serving children under the age of three.
- In 1980, SCARC opened their first two group homes in Newton and Sparta after families expressed a need for residential options for their adult children.
In the past three decades, SCARC has continued to expand and adapt to meet the growing needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
- SCARC currently operates twenty-two group homes and eight supported living apartments throughout Sussex County.
- Six day programs serve a full range of disabilities and challenges including seniors and individuals who are medically fragile.
- Employment Supports in individual and group settings, provide training, job coaching, and job placement.
- Recreation programs for children and adults enable them to participate in a wide variety of community-based activities.
- Family Support Services assist families by supporting them in their role as primary caregivers for loved ones with a developmental disability.
- Two sister corporations also serve the SCARC family. SCARC Guardianship Services, Inc. provides guardianship and community trust services. The SCARC Foundation, Inc. raises funds for SCARC, Inc. and SCARC Guardianship Services, Inc. programs.
Today, the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in Sussex County are still changing and evolving. SCARC is committed to pursuing and providing community-based options that will best meet those needs with respect, flexibility, and an ongoing commitment to providing quality services and supports.